Barnum’s history is one of a quiet development over more than a century– in 1878, master showman P. T. Barnum purchased a tract of land on the western edge of Denver. Today this community of young first-generation and immigrant families welcomes newcomers from all over the world. (DPL).
Over time, Barnum developed as a haven for families with a sense of pride and identity that has continued even as its faces have changed over the course of the twentieth century.
Location Map With Boundaries:
For information on active listings in the Barnum & Barnum West neighborhood, contact a Your Castle listing agent.
- El Coco Pirata
- Corn Roaster (food truck)
- Frutas Mexico (food truck)
- Grandpa’s Burger Haven
- Lookin’ Good Restaurant and Lounge
- Los Molcajetes Taqueria
- Panaderia Mexico
- Puerto Vallarta Mexican Restaurant
- Que Chulada
- El Rancherito
- Tacos El Pueblita
Chris “Phued” Bernal, a local tattoo and graffiti artist, designed and illustrated this mural for the Barnum neighborhoods. Located at Morrison and Alameda, this beautiful piece is a homage to the neighborhood’s namesake, P.T. Barnum and his legacy, the Barnum & Bailey Circus.
Photo courtesy of 303 Magazine.
- Barnum was named for P.T. Barnum, a famous circus master showman who, in 1878, purchased the land the neighborhood stands on today.
- Despite this, Barnum only made four documented trips to Colorado and never actually lived in the state.
- A copy of one of the original Neighborhood Planning & Zoning documents can be found here.
- Redfin voted Barnum as Denver’s hottest neighborhood in 2016.
- Barnum is a member of the Sustainable Neighborhood Network, where it has been certified as an Outstanding Sustainable Neighborhood every year since its inauguration.
Average Commute to Denver: 12min
Average Commute to Vail: 1hr 35min
Meets 2nd Tuesday of the month @6 p.m.
Barnum Recreation Center, 360 Hooker St.
Concerned Citizens for Barnum/Community Coalition for Barnum
Do you live in Barnum or Barnum West? Where is your favorite place to spend time in your neighborhood?
Interested in moving into Barnum/Barnum West? Contact a Your Castle agent today for active listings in the area!